Search billions of records on


David Chandlers Retirement  

1880 - Harvey Cloughs 25th Anniversary

1884 - Cloughs Milk Route

1882 - Cloughs Milk Business

1899 - Harvey Cloughs' Remarriage and Death

1884 - Victor William Clough

William Clough Proves Bike is His

Pictures of the Plane Crash

Victor William Clough

1950 - William F. Clough - Crashes


Suspected of Taking a Bike; Youth Is Held

William Clough; youth residing at 916 West Sixteenth street, is being held by police on suspicion of having stolen a bicycle belonging to George Sterling, 1722 Scott street, from in front of St. Anthony's school several days ago.  A bicycle said to answer the decription of the stolen wheel was found in Clough's possession.

William Clough Proves Title to His Own Bicycle

William Clough, 916 West Sixteenth street, proved title to his bicycle in police court beyond all shadow of doubt this week when he produced the man who had made him a gift of the machine.  William had been accused of stealing the machine by a lad who hot the wheel looked like the one he lost and newspsper story that he was accused of the theft caused Will some misgivings.  He went to the man from whom he obtained the bicycle and that individual not only assured the police that the bicycle belonged to Will but he gave testimonial of Will's character.


The 25th Wedding Anniversary of Harvey Victor and Sophia Clough

Mr. and Mrs. H. V. Clough, living on the Rock Island road, a mile west of this city, were completely and overwhelminglly surprised by a goodly number of their friends and neighbors on Tuesday evening of this week, the twenty-fifth anniversary of their marriage.  The party was as merry and blith a one as had assembled in this vicinity for a long time and considering the disadvantage they were taken at Mr. and Mrs. Clough entertained all most handsomely.  Of course, there could not be an affair of this kind without some presents as mementoes, and on this occasion there were some handsome ones, as follows:  A fine hanging lamp had the following card attached:  From Mr. and Mrs. Geo. E. Wait, Mr. and Mrs. N. C. Howard, Mr. and Mrs. E. P. Van Valkenburg, Mr. and Mrs. R. F. Steele, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. A. Little, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. W. Lawrence, Mr. and Mrs. R. D. Boice."  A gold-line silver cup, silver butter dish, silver butter knife, crystal and silver berry dish and silver cake basket, from Mr. and Mrs. R. Wilcox, Mr. and Mrs. W. Sanford, Mr. and Mrs. W. Kidder, Mr. and Mrs. W. Austin, Mr. and Mrs. N. C. Webster, Mr. and Mrs. Dillinbeck, Mr. and Mrs. E. Muzzy, Mr. and Mrs. L Hoit, Mr. and Mrs. J. Tufts, Mr. and Mrs. V. Biggs, Mr. and Mrs. S. Cushisan, Mr. and Mrs. L. Woodruff.  Mr. and Mrs. C. Ralson, Mr. and Mrs. B. Paul, Mr. and Mrs. D. F. Sargent, Mrs. Ward, Mrs. E. A. Kidder, Mr. and Mrs. O. W. Holt.  A silver pickle cantor from Victor, Henry and Frank Clough.  A silver pickle fork from Messrs. Kinsey Bros.


Cloughs' Milk Wagon

The breaking of a whiffletree at the State street railroad crosing last Wednesday some what demoralized Clough's milk wagon and permitted the horses to drag the driver out and upset a can of milk.  The milk wagon seem prone to misforturne in Geneseo, as accidents to them are of frequent occurrence.


H. V. Clough & Sons have purchased Mr. C. Remington's milk route and are now running two wagons, supplying all who desire it with good, pure milk at 5 cents a quart.  The Cloughs have built up a splendid business and they intend to retain it by giving their customers satisfaction at all times.



Sadie Fryslinger Shows Son of Harvey Clough Certificate of Marriage to Him

The remaines of Harvey V. Clough were taken to Rock Island on the 6 o'clock Burlington passenager last evening, accompanied by his two sons who were here.  Mrs. Frysinger and daughter Sadie also went on the same train.  The body was taken to Geneseo for burial, where it lay in state at the home of Victor W. Clough son ot the deceased, from 1 to 3 p. m. today.  Short services were conducted at the grave at 3:00 by Rev. T. P. Byrnes.

A romance is connected with this aged man's stay in Sterling, which will be a surprise to his friends in Geneseo, where he was once a prosperous dairyman and prominent citizen.  One of his sons yesterday told two Sterling men that his father had been married to Sadie Frysinger since last October.

The son was in ignorance of his father's  marriage, he said, until yesterday.  When he said he would get the trunk and belongings of the deceased together, he said the girl told him she would attend to that herself, as she was the widow of the deceased.  The young man was complussed and would not believe the girl's statement until she produced a marriage license.

Mr. Clough was born in Vermont and would have been sixty-nine years of age next March.  He located in Geneseo in the early days and is said to have amassed a fortune of $100,000.  According to a story which he told a Sterling man some time ago, he separated from his wife some time ago, then they made up, lived together for awhile and left each other a second time several years ago.  About two years ago he moved from Geneseo to Davenport and for about a year past he lived with the Frysinger family in this city.

His son did not know whether much of his property was left at present or not, but during his illness here Mr. Clough remarked that if people thought he was a pauper they would be badly fooled when he died.  He received treatment from a local physician for some time prior to his death and expected to died soon.  Some months ago he sent a subscription to the Geneseo News for several months, saying he did not expect to live longer than that time.  One of his sons is in business in Geneseo and the other two live in Davenport.  Whether he left a will or not is not known here.

A Gazette reporter called at the Frysinger home today to verify the report, but the house was locked up.  Later, however, he learned that Mr. Clough and Miss Frysinger were married Oct. 8, by a Davenport justice of the peace.  The ceremony was witnessed by Attorney Hubbel and Dr. Porter of Davenport.

The attending physician said Mr. Clough recieved every care and attention during his illness at the Frysinger home.


Last Friday Victor W. Clough, of this city, skated a full one hundred miles at the Casino Rink, Chicago, in 9 hours 54 minutes and 40 seconds.  As he and his manager, Ab. Colbert, came home the following day it may be taken for granted that the wonderful feat did not over-tax his energies very greatly.


Vic Clough has leased the Oliver Youngs farm over in the edge of Edford township, for five years, and moved out there.


Vic Clough has sold his eighty acre farm west of town for $4,525.  It was a good piece of land but without improvements other than fences.


The City Hotel, under V.W. Clough's management, has lost none of its attractiveness as a popular resort for our own people and the traveling public.  Vic. has recently started a hack and now carries his guests and their baggage to and from all trains and the stock yards.  1884.


Messrs. A. Miller & Sons have leased Clough's City Hotel and will take possession at once.  They will renovate the building from basement to garret, put competent help in the house to manage it and make the hotel one of the best of its class in the west.  The name the Millers have earned as hotel men is a guarantee that whatever they take hold of in that line will be well and satisfactorily managed.  Their own famous hostelry, the Geneseo House, is a credit to themselves and Geneseo, and they will make the City Hotel equally as pleasant for patrons.  Mr. Clough will go back to farming for the present.



From The Biographical Record, 1910

Sound judgment combined with fine ability in mechanical lines has enabled the subject of this biography, a well-known resident of Geneseo, to attain a substantial success in life, and his history is of special interest.  He was born in Windham county, Vermont, January 20, 1856, a son of Harvey V. and Sophia L. (Heins) Clough, also natives of the Green Mountain state.  His maternal grandfather was William Heins.  The father, who was a very successful farmer, came to Henry county, Illinois, in 1857, and purchased a tract of woodland in Edford township.  He converted the timber into cordwood, and that undertaking proved quite profitable.  He finally sold his property in that township and removed to Geneseo township, where he owned and operated a large farm, but spent the last few years of his life in retirement from active labor in Geneseo, where he died in 1899, at the age of sixty-nine years.  He was an upright, honorable man, of most exemplary habits and liberal views, and was a Republican in politics.  His estimable wife is still living, at the age of sixty-five years, an honored resident of Geneseo.  In their family were eight children:  V. W., of this review; Henry C., a resident of Davenport, Iowa; Frank, who died at the age of thirty years; Harry, who died in boyhood; Llewellyn, who died when a young man; Clyde M., a resident of Davenport; and two who died young.

Coming to this county during his infancy, V. W. Clough was educated in the public schools of Geneseo.  He early became familiar with every detail of farm work in assisting his father, and grew up to be one of the most progressive and skillful farmers of his community.  He made a thorough study of the business, ever seeking for the best methods of carrying on his work, and was what is properly termed a scientific farmer.  For twenty years he followed that occupation with good results.  Possessing much mechanical ingenuity and very handy with tools, he finally turned his attention to manufacturing enterprises.  He has invented many contrivances and some very important machinery, including the first successful traction separator, which consists of a traction engine coupled to a threshing separator in such a way that it makes the two machines into one.  It can be moved forward or backward without removing the main drive belt; is always set and always in line; and is absolutely safe from fire.  He built his first machine in sixty days in 1898 after having devoted three years to practical observation and to the study of old machines being operated in the fields.  His machine was first tested in Illinois, and then shipped to Minnesota, being used in the large wheat fields in that state, also in North and South Dakota and in Oklahoma.  In this undertaking Mr. Clough has been unassisted.  The practical working of the machine in the fields has been its best recommendation and has secured the most sales.  A large expense is saved in help and labor as it moves one-third easier than other machines, and nearly one-fourth easier when threshing.  It is consequently also a fuel and water saver.  The first machine was so complete  that little changes have since been made.  Mr. Clough has listened to thousands of gratuitous suggestion, but has not found it feasible to change the pattern.

Mr. Clough has also invented a self-feeder for threshing machines, which is very simple, consisting of a band cutter and carrier, having none of the complicated shake boards found in other machines.  This invention is all his own and the secret of its success is the way the grain if fed to the cylinder of the thresher.  With eight men pitching from four ricks into the feeder it seems hungry for more grain.  It has been estimated by competent judges that this feeder is capable of receiving the threshing ten bushels of grain per minute.  Another of Mr. Clough's inventions is the combination water, coal and straw tender attached to traction engines which carries the water and coal supply in the coal burning districts and the straw used as fuel in the great wheat fields of the north.  These inventions will all be manufactured at the factory established by our subject at Geneseo.  In business affairs he is energetic prompt and notably reliable and his upright, honorable course in life commends him to the confidence of all.  Politically he is identified with the Republican party, and socially affiliates with the Masonic fraternity, Stewart Lodge, No. 92, A. F. & A. M.

On the 18th of May, 1880, Mr. Clough was united in marriage with Miss Josie Thayer, a native of New York and a daughter of Henry and Emily Thayer.  After the Civil war her father, who was a farmer by occupation, came to Illinois and settled at Woodhull, Henry county.  He was a most upright and worthy citizen of that place for many years, and died in 1894, at the age of sixty-five.  His wife is now a resident of Aurora, Illinois, and is about sixty years of age.  Their children were Josie, wife of our subject; Carrie, wife of Charlie Hart; and Robert, a resident of Alpha, Illinois.  Mr. and Mrs. Clough have two children:  Leslie V. and Florence S.  During the Spanish-American war Leslie V. Clough enlisted in Company B, Sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and with his regiment went from Springfield into camp at Camp Alger, and later to Porto Rico.  He was finally mustered out of service, and on his return home completed a business course at Moline.  He is a young man of good habits and much promise.  He has had much experience as an engineer and is a first class workman in that line, to which he has devoted considerable attention since the early age of nine years. 


D. E. Chandler, 143 Sherman street, who retired Saturday after 20 years of service with the Standard Oil company at Muscatine, and Mrs. Chandler, were honored guests at a banquet tendered by the company at the Hotel Muscatine Wednesday evening.

J. J. Leu, assistant manager; C. H. Leu, personnel officer; O. C. Peterson, ay Johnson and Mr. Pyles, all of the Davenport division office, and E. W. Fritts, local manager, were among the company officials attending.

Covers were laid for 21.  Following the dinneer, talks were given by the diviwion officers, in which Mr. Chandler was praised for his long record of service.  William Lease and Peter Johnson, local employes, also spoke briefly.

Mr. Chandler wa given a pen and pencil set by members of the Muscatine organization.  Officials presented to Mrs. Chandler a corsage.




Veteran Oil Employe, Pensioned Only a Month, Taken by Death.

Muscatine, Ia., Dec. 12 - David Edward Chandler, aged 64 years, retired only a month ago after 20 years' of service with the Standard Oil company, died last night in Bellevue hospital where he had been a patient since Dec. 2.  He had undergone operation for amputation of his foot in attempt to halt a gangrenous condition which resuited in his death.  The family home was at 143 Sherman street.

Mr. Chandler was born Oct. 25, 1865, in Illinois, but he had lived here since he was 14 years of age.  His marriage to Miss Katherine Haney took place Jan. 28, 1889.  The widow, three sons, Chester, Davenport; and Jewel and Edward, Muscatine, and a daughter, Mrs. Walter Gerischer, Pleasant Prairie, survive.  A brother, Charles, of this city, also survives.  Fruneral services will be held at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon in the Fairbanks chapel with the Rev. C. E. Ward, pastor of the Park avenue Methodist church in charge.  Burial will be in Greenwood cemetery.



Printed with permission of the Quad Cities Times


Die as Plane Is Blown Apart

Verne Johnson, Harlan Deem, Wm. Clough Victims

Authorities in Lake county, Tennessee, today joined with inspectors of the Civil Aeronautics administration in an investiagation into an airplane accident Sunday near Ridgely Tenn., which cost the lives of three Davenport men.

Those killed were:

Verne Malcolm Johnson, 36, of 162 Fernwood avenue, Davenport, operator of Johnson Motors, 1525 State street, Bettendorf.

Harlan C. Deem, 34, of 1445 West Third street, Davenport, trucking and hauling contractor.

William Frederick Clough, 39, R. R. No. 2 Davenport, real estate and investment broker.

The tragedy brought a climax to a pleasure trip for the three men which included visits to Cuba, Florida and Alabama.  It occurred on the eve of the sixth birthday of Johnson's son, Roxy.

According to information received here, the airplane, a four-passenger craft, owned and piloted by Johnson, crashed during a wind storm.

Sheriff J. C. Haynes of Tiptonville, Tenn., the county seat of Lake county, which is located 100 miles north of Memphis, said one witness told him that the airplane "appeared to explode" in the air, while another witness said the tail of the craft fell off as the pilot apparently gunned the light plane to keep it from stalling.

The tail was found about a half-a-mile from where the rest of the craft plunged into the water-filled cotton field.

Sheriff Haynes and members of his staff today questioned several witnesses to the crash.

Belief was expressed that the airplane "broke into pieces" in the air as a severe windstorm was breaking over the area about 4 p.m. Sunday.  It also was believed that Johnson was attempting to gain altitude to "get above the storm."

A piece of the fuselage was found about three miles from the place where the plane crashed.  The bodies of the victims were badly crushed as the rusult of the impact.

Ridgely, scene of the crash, is located in the northwest corner of Tennessee, south of Tiptonville.

The victims were en route to Davenport from Mobile, Ala., when the crash occurred. It is believed that Johnson was following the Mississippi river to Davenport as Ridgely is located on the river.

Mrs. Johnson said her husband called her by telephone Saturday night and informed her that he would return here Sunday night.  He kept his airplane at Davenport air park on Middle road.

The trio left Davenport Friday, Jan. 6, and flew to Cuba.  They also visited in Florida before going to Alabama.

Sheriff Haynes said all three men had Cuban money in their billfolds and papers they carried showed they had stopped at Daytona Beach, Fla., airport last Wednesday.

The tragedy was the second to strike the Deem family within a period of three months.  Deem's wife, Martha, was fatally infured Oct. 10 when the dump truck in which she was riding and operated by her busband was involved in a collision with a Davenport fire department pumper from Engine Co. No. 6 at Locust and Marquette streets.  Deem was injured in the crash.

Johnson also operated garages in Mobile and Oklahoma City in addition to his business in Bettendorf.

The bodies were taken to Tiptonville funeral home pending an inquest and investigation.




JUNE 3, 1950



The estate of a 39-year-old Davenport real estate and investment broker, who died in an airplane crash Jan. 15, was set at $109,014.21 in a preliminary inheritance tax report filed late Thursday in Scott county district court.

The crash victim was William F. Clough, who was killed along with two other Davenport men when their light plane crashed in a rain storm near Tiptonville Tenn.  The beneficiaries of his estate are his widow, Grace Clough, and their two children, Donna Clough, 13, and Deborah Clough, 2.

The tax report stated he held title to real estate valued at $58,075 at the time of his death.  Another $46,610.72 consists of notes, mortgages and other real estate contracts.

Plane Crash Pictures